Even for Californians, the winter months can lead to a decrease in vitamin D intake which is known to affect mood and productivity. Check out these healthy tips to boost your vitamin D intake in the winter months.
1. Get 20 to 25 minutes of sun exposure every day! Go for a short walk or bike ride during your lunch break. It will make a big difference in your day.
2. Fatty Fish. Fatty fish like salmon and tuna are chalked full of vitamin D! The added bonus to eating these fish is that you also get Omega-3 fatty acids which are great for brain health.
3. Canned Tuna. Canned tuna is a more affordable, but equally effective way to increase your intake of vitamin D.
4. Certain Mushrooms. Mushrooms go through the process of photosynthesis allowing certain mushrooms to provide us with this much needed vitamin. Look at your local grocery store for mushrooms that contain vitamin D.
5. Fortified Milk. Milk fortified with vitamin D! How can you go wrong?
6. Fortified Orange Juice. Similar to fortified milk, this is a great option to get that daily intake into your diet.
7. Supplements. Though obtaining vitamin D through natural sources such as sunlight and diet are prefered, supplements are a good way to make sure that you are getting healthy amounts of vitamin D on a consistent basis.
8. Egg Yolk. Because it is fat soluble, vitamin D is found in many foods rich in healthy fat such as egg yolks. Sometimes it is good to get some fat in your diet, especially healthy fats.